Consider this her much belated, formal introduction.
USS (Star Trek Tribute) Serenica (Firefly/Battlestar Galactica Tribute: Serenity+Galactica mash-up) Landship (Bob's Burger's Tribute), Housecar (name addition by my friend Amanda's daughter, Sophie who calls RVs "housecars") NCC (Star Trek again) 17 (year of her maiden voyage) 96 (year she was built) -37 (feet long)
My last blog post regarding Serenica was June...of 2016. I probably don't need to say here that I absolutely could not have predicted that it would have been 14 more months before we were ready to post the After shots, but I'm going to say it anyway: I had no idea how long this beast would actually take us to complete. Really though, taking something like this on when both parties are working full-time jobs (in addition to going to school part-time, as I was doing up until last December), and especially once we'd learned how precariously these damn things are built, it was actually pretty naive to think how quickly we could knock this out, hilariously ridiculous even, knowing what we know now.
Just to recap the timeline:
November 2015—Mike and Becky purchase RV (37' 1996 Firan Raven XL)
Since it was beginning of winter, all we could do initially was park it in a storage lot, cover it up for protection from the elements, and wait for the cold season to pass.
April 2016—Spring! Pre-Renovation Begins
Uncover RV, start pulling out all the extra crap the previous owners left inside it (blankets, dishes, random supplies, etc.), take before photos, prep for renovation
May 2016—Renovation Officially Begins
I think it was this soon in the process that we'd begun questioning just what exactly we'd gotten ourselves into...especially in the process of removing those damn floors.
June 2016—Bulk of Renovation is Completed
With the help of family (who we coaxed out to Colorado from Georgia with free plane tickets) we got a bulk of the work done during the two weeks they were here, including the painting of the walls and cabinets, the installation of the new floors, and the installation of the wood-burning stove (which required cutting out the top half of the washer/dryer closet).
July 2016-December 2016—Minimal Progress Made/Cover/Seal-Up for Winter
I had to return to school in August for my last semester needed for my B.A.S. degree while Mike continued doing minor work on the RV after work some days before it began getting too dark and cold to do so. I didn't photo-document anything during this time since the progress was minimal and hardly noticeable in photos. We also took the booth and couch cushions to an auto upholsterer to get those reupholstered right before New Year's Eve of 2016. Also worth noting that after 2 years of school, I finally graduated this December!
January-March 2017—Few Things Accomplished/Still Cold
We had actually planned for our maiden voyage in March (somewhere close, just as a test-trip) but not only had we still not gotten our reupholstered cushions back, but there was quite a bit we still hadn't finished, so we reluctantly and disappointedly decided to postpone. We did manage to install new countertops and sinks during this time.
May 2017—Mike and Becky Get Married!
...And decide that our postponed maiden voyage will also be our Honeymoon later this summer.
May-August 2017—Completing What's Left (or most of it anyway)
This included completing the trim, the backsplashes, troubleshooting some random electrical issues, installing new batteries, hanging wallpaper in the bedroom, installing decorative/storage elements, and little things like wire covers and cabinet doors, etc.
August 2017—Maiden Voyage/Honeymoon
Photos to come soon!
Below, you'll find the before and after shots as Serenica currently stands. I tried to match the exact shots and angles of the before shots for the afters to really show the transformation. Below the photos you'll also see what we spent on all of this, and what remains left to do.
Install fold-up desk behind passenger seat
Install fold-down computer screen
Install new stereo
Deep clean plastic vents and vinyl awnings
Install locking safe
Install solar panels
RV purchase price: $12,500
Tools and Supplies: $2,483
(worth noting: we owned zero tools before beginning this project which really helped to bloat this amount.)
New Elements to Replace Old: $3,021
(this includes the sinks and faucets, the flooring, the countertops, the lighting, the mattress, the window treatments, the hardware, the wood-burning stove, the backsplashes, etc.)
Decorative elements: $1,003
(includes bedding, towels, pillows, pillow covers, rugs, dishes, art, clock, storage elements, silverware, cooking pots and pans, etc.)
If we include cost of insurance we've spent on it thus far ($1,740) and the cost of storing it up to this point ($2,530), the grand total is $23, 277. I also want to note that zero loans were taken for this project. We've gotten by purely on savings.
Finally, the only regret I have on this is that we haven't at all tracked the time we've spent on this renovation. I know it's somewhere in the hundreds of hours but I don't have an exact number unfortunately. It's far more than enough to likely prevent us from ever tackling another project like this anytime soon. Hopefully this post helps to show why we're so proud of this accomplishment!